Wednesday, January 30, 2008

God's Righteous Judgment

Romans 2
1You, therefore, have no excuse, you who pass judgment on someone else, for at whatever point you judge the other, you are condemning yourself, because you who pass judgment do the same things. 2Now we know that God's judgment against those who do such things is based on truth. 3So when you, a mere man, pass judgment on them and yet do the same things, do you think you will escape God's judgment?


So, we have all read the Bible on many occassions, and I know as popular as Romans is, we have all read it more than, let's say, Nahum. It still amazes my simple mind what stands out. Personally, I struggle with this topic. I find myself passing judgement on others, and then nudging God saying, "See, see, what did I tell you? I'm right, right?" But now, maybe it is where I am at in my life, I get knocked in the head with:

4Or do you show contempt for the riches of his kindness, tolerance and patience, not realizing that God's kindness leads you toward repentance?

Aah, see, now that's just not fair. (I kid). I have read and re-read that line about 10 times, and am speechless. So, I went to a reliable resource, Wikipedia, to re-educate myself on the the word contempt... bad idea.

  • Contempt is an intense feeling of disrespect and dislike. It is similar to hate, but implies feelings of superiority/superciliousness. A person who has contempt for another individual looks down (condescends) on that person. The "recipient of contempt" is deemed unworthy, beneath redemption.

Verse 4 is such a powerful life changing verse. To honestly answer that is very hard. Do I show an intense feeling of disrepect and dislike to God's kindness, tolerance, and patience leading me to a true changing of my mind and heart?

It is definitely the one line that I will take from today's reading and really let it sink in.

No comments: