Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Life Changing Catch Up

First off...this reading is life changing. Wanna hear your Father speak directly to your heart? This is a key way it's done.
Next...I think I've been caught up one or two days this month. So...not based on "today's reading" but rather thoughts from a couple recent days:

Mt. 26:
51And behold, one of those who were with Jesus stretched out his hand and drew his(A) sword and struck the servant[a] of the high priest and cut off his ear. 52Then Jesus said to him, "Put your sword back into its place. For(B) all who take the sword will perish by the sword. 53(C) Do you think that I cannot appeal to my Father, and he will at once send me(D) more than twelve(E) legions of angels? 54(F) But how then should the Scriptures be fulfilled, that it must be so?"

Acts 26:
31And when they had withdrawn, they said to one another,(B) "This man is doing nothing to deserve death or imprisonment." 32And Agrippa said to Festus,(C) "This man could have been set(D) free if he had not appealed(E) to Caesar."

Esther 4:
16"Go, gather all the Jews to be found in Susa, and hold a fast on my behalf, and do not eat or drink for(I) three days, night or day. I and my young women will also fast as you do. Then I will go to the king, though it is against the law,(J) and if I perish, I perish."

1) From Mt 26 - how many times do I draw the sword when I see things getting out of control? I wanna take charge and fight off the bad guys. Who am I to think that I can do what 12 Legions of angels are being held back from? I am such a Peter. I am rash and impatient and controlling and need to think of how Jesus handled this situation...even in the face of death.

2) Jesus, Paul and Esther all have the same air about themselves in these passages. They all know what the Story is and what must be done for the Story to be carried out and God to be glorified. They abandon the easy way out (from denying legions of protection, to forgoing proper court defense procedure, to cowering in fear of the king's laws) and rather choose the way of the Story. Humility, submission, unselfishness...Father, make this my approach to everyday life! Even as radical as "If I perish, I perish" (hello, scary). Tell me your Story and open my ears that I may hear It and move fully into It.

No comments: