Tuesday, February 19, 2008

The Lepers' Deliverer

The correlations between Exodus and Luke are yet again amazing. What struck me were people of both OT and NT crying out for a Deliverer.
This gives me chills in light of the Gospels and today:

God Hears Israel’s Groaning - Exodus 2
23 During those many days the king of Egypt died, and the people of Israel groaned because of their slavery and cried out for help. Their cry for rescue from slavery came up to God. 24And God heard their groaning, and God remembered his covenant with Abraham, with Isaac, and with Jacob. 25God saw the people of Israel—and God knew.

Here's a great Rich Mullins song that so well captures the essence of this thought:
My Deliverer
Joseph took his wife and her child and they went to Africa
To escape the rage of a deadly king
There along the banks of the Nile, Jesus listened to the song
That the captive children used to sing
They were singin'
My Deliverer is coming - my Deliverer is standing by

Through a dry and thirsty land, water from the Kenyon heights
Pours itself out of Lake Sangra's broken heart
There in the Sahara winds Jesus heard the whole world cry
For the healing that would flow from His own scars
The world was singing
My Deliverer is coming - my Deliverer is standing by

He will never break His promise - He has written it upon the sky
My Deliverer is coming - my Deliverer is standing by

I will never doubt His promise though I doubt my heart, I doubt my eyes
My Deliverer is coming - my Deliverer is standing by

He will never break His promise though the stars should break faith with the sky
My Deliverer is coming - my Deliverer is standing by
________
Jesus Cleanses a Leper - Luke 5
12While he was in one of the cities, there came a man full of leprosy. And when he saw Jesus, he fell on his face and begged him, "Lord, if you will, you can make me clean." 13And Jesus stretched out his hand and touched him, saying, "I will; be clean." And immediately the leprosy left him.
Thank you Jesus for this passage which combats a heart that tends to wander to pride. My leprosy may not be on the outside as this man, but inside I am a dirty leper looking to live in hiding and shame. Maybe it's easier to hide an inner leper (which may not be an advantage), but when it comes down to it, this passage cuts me to the quick. Not only does Jesus approach me willing to speak/listen to me, but at his own peril, he reaches out to touch me...something that "clean" people never do to contagious lepers. I am being humbled a day at a time...God's word humbles this leprous heart.

No comments: