Saturday, February 2, 2008

A Prophet Without Honor and Job's Three Friends

Mark 6
1Jesus left there and went to his hometown, accompanied by his disciples. 2When the Sabbath came, he began to teach in the synagogue, and many who heard him were amazed.
"Where did this man get these things?" they asked. "What's this wisdom that has been given him, that he even does miracles! 3Isn't this the carpenter? Isn't this Mary's son and the brother of James, Joseph,[
a] Judas and Simon? Aren't his sisters here with us?" And they took offense at him.
4Jesus said to them, "Only in his hometown, among his relatives and in his own house is a prophet without honor." 5He could not do any miracles there, except lay his hands on a few sick people and heal them. 6And he was amazed at their lack of faith.


This passage breaks my heart. My first reaction is defensiveness for my Saviour. My next reaction is condemnation for his hometown. My third reaction is questioning myself if I would react the same. My fourth reaction is understanding that I would..."And He was amazed at their lack of faith." I have always said it would be so different, "it" being my faith in Christ, if He was walking in my midst, talking in my church, eating at my table. BUT, you know, He is, and I am not... but I am getting there.


47When evening came, the boat was in the middle of the lake, and he was alone on land. 48He saw the disciples straining at the oars, because the wind was against them. About the fourth watch of the night he went out to them, walking on the lake. He was about to pass by them, 49but when they saw him walking on the lake, they thought he was a ghost. They cried out, 50because they all saw him and were terrified. Immediately he spoke to them and said, "Take courage! It is I. Don't be afraid." 51Then he climbed into the boat with them, and the wind died down. They were completely amazed, 52for they had not understood about the loaves; their hearts were hardened.

This passage is another one of those 2X4's that I seem to be coming across here lately... my head is really starting to hurt. Once again, a simplistic story that is a reflection into my life. The first time I read this when I became a Christian, I didn't quite understand why Jesus waited for so long before going out and helping. He waited, and waited, and waited through four watches. He finally went out, not to the boat, but walking almost right pass them. The disciples had to scream out for Him to respond.

But I think I understand it now. He was waiting for them to call out to Him, always so watchful never leaving. But they didn't. So, He made Himself more visable and accessible, and they responded in a scream. However, our patient God didn't criticize them for taking so long or screaming at Him, He responded immediately with words of encouragement, and calmed the turmoil occuring around them.

So my "aha" for today: He is waiting for me to call out to Him, and frankly, I wait until I have exhausted all of my own abilities. Prayfully, as I continue to grow in my faith in Him, I will "trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight." (Proverbs 3:5-6)... and I won't wait until I am screaming.


Job
11 When Job's three friends, Eliphaz the Temanite, Bildad the Shuhite and Zophar the Naamathite, heard about all the troubles that had come upon him, they set out from their homes and met together by agreement to go and sympathize with him and comfort him. 12 When they saw him from a distance, they could hardly recognize him; they began to weep aloud, and they tore their robes and sprinkled dust on their heads. 13 Then they sat on the ground with him for seven days and seven nights. No one said a word to him, because they saw how great his suffering was.

Friends like these, it would be such a different world! Reread verse 13 and let that sink in.

No comments: